Skip to main content

HFS COVID-19 Response

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions during COVID-19

Here you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about accessing services at Hastings Family Service during the COVID-19 pandemic.  For additional questions or to schedule an appointment, please call 651-437-7134. We are here to help! 

Who Can Use the Food Shelf?

You can! Anyone, including seniors, singles, adult-only households or families living in MN ISD #200. If you have been laid off or furloughed, you can receive groceries and use your resources for other bills and basic needs.

How do I get food if I need it? Do I need to meet with someone?

Call (651) 437-7134 to schedule a pick-up at the HFS drive-thru Food Shelf. All paperwork is done confidentially over the phone and you will not see staff or volunteers during your no-contact pick-up.  Requests for food through the Market food shelf at HFS must be scheduled at least 2 days in advance. Because of the high volume of requests, same day or next day food pick ups may not be available at this time. We appreciate your understanding and encourage you to check out the other food options available in the Hastings community listed below.

How often can I get food?

Due to COVID-19, food appointments (full food order or an emergency bag) are available one time per month. 

What information will be requested of me?

You will be asked your name, address, age, number in family, phone number, email address, interest in receiving the Service Scoop, combined household income, is this is your first time at HFS, and what non-food items you would enjoy.

What type of food will I get?

Dairy, meat, fresh produce, bread, shelf stable foods, and personal care items. 

This is typical of what is included in a pre-packed grocery pick-up for a family of four.

Can I get transportation assistance to and from a food shelf appointment?

Yes. We are currently working with Transit Link to provide free food shelf deliveries when needed. Delivery requests require an appointment at least 2 days in advance. Ask about delivery when making your food shelf appointment.

I am interested in Meals on Wheels; how does that work?

Delivery continues with modifications to ensure recipient and volunteer safety. Call 651-404-1548 for more information.  Hot meal cost is $5.20 and frozen meals are $4.00 each. SNAP is also accepted to cover the cost of meals.

What other food resources are available in the Hastings community?

  • The Hastings YMCA: Partners with Every Meal to provide Food Bags: free dry goods for meals that serve 2-3 people. You are welcome to take meals daily, M-F 8:00-5:00. They are on a table outside the YMCA entrance/weather permitting. 
  • Hastings School District: Free meals are available to all children enrolled in the Hastings ISD 200 school district through December 31, 2020. During distance learning, meals are available by bus stop delivery or pick up at the district office.  More information can be found on the District’s Bridge to Learning site.
  • Our Savior Monthly “Food with Friends” Meals are the 1st Thursday of the month. To reserve a curbside meal pick up, please call the church office at 651-437-9052 or visit

What other food resources are available through the county?

  • SNAP - Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program: Provides food support (formerly known as food stamps) for income eligible individuals. Applications for food benefits and renewals can be submitted on or call the help line at 800-657-3698. 
  • NAPS - Nutritional Assistance Program for Seniors:  Free, nutritious food for seniors 60+.  Provided monthly. Easy to enroll - call Maddie at Hastings Family Service 651-437-7134.  Income eligibility: total gross monthly income for 1 person $1383 or under or 2 persons $1868 or under
  • WIC - Women Infant Children: Call 952-891-7525 for more information.  Call 651-554-5611 to schedule an over-the-phone application appointment. 

How does financial assistance work through HFS?

Grants available for eligible applications for seniors, singles, adult-only households, or families living in ISD 200. Grants aim to assist with some expenses including housing, utilities, car- related, gas to get to school or work, ID replacements, and prescriptions. Call 651-437-7134 for more information.

Additional Information/Resources

I have lost my job, what do I do?

  • Minnesota Unemployment Insurance: 1-877-898-9090 or apply at
  • Dakota County Dislocated Workers Program: Contact CareerForce Burnsville at 952-703-3100 or apply online.

I have been laid off and I no longer have insurance, how do I apply for MNsure?

I cannot pay my utility bill, what assistance might be available?

  • Community Action Partnership Energy Assistance: (651) 322-3500 Option 1 or
  • Dakota County Emergency Assistance: Applications for cash and emergency program benefits can be submitted Call (651) 554-5611 to schedule an over-the-phone application appointment or for more information.
  • Energy CENTS Coalition: Assists with Natural Gas (651) 774-9010

What are the housing options available right now?

  • Dakota County Housing Crisis Line: (651) 554-5751 or email 
  • Dakota County Community Development Agency (CDA):  (651) 675-4400
  • Community Action Partnership Housing and Emergency Services: (952) 496-2125 Option 1
  • Housing Link:

I am homeless, what do I do?

  • Matrix (Pop up Homeless Shelter in Dakota County): 651-319-2153
  • Ally (Homeless street outreach): 651-302-4471
  • Salvation Army: 952-898-9367
  • Bridge for Youth (sheltering for unaccompanied youth under age 18): text 612-400-SAFE (7233) or call 612-377-8800
  • The Link C.O.R.E (drop in center for youth at risk of or currently experiencing homelessness): 612-205-7944
  • Dakota Woodlands Family Shelter: Call the Dakota County Hosing Crisis Line at 651-554-5751 or email

Where can I go to fax or make copies?

  • Coborns: Printing: 7 cents a page. Faxing: $1 for first page, 50 cents for each additional
  • UPS: Printing: Black and White- 25 cents a sheet. Faxing: $1.50 for 6 pages, additional $1 for every sheet after 6. Printing from email available.
  • Dakota County Pleasant Hill Library: Scanning: free, Copies: 15 cents, Faxing: $1